Friday, February 26, 2010

Awaiting Spring ~~~~~~~ Stirrings of Hope

Today I saw a beautiful, fat, red-breasted robin
perched on my backyard fence
when I opened my back door.

I opened the door quickly
to let my best dog Bella burst outside
for her first early morning jaunt.
I started to close the door quickly
as the February winter windchill
still sent such cold shivers through me.

And then I saw it.
A red-breasted robin
sitting calmly
atop my redwood fence.
Looking around.
Checking things out.

Obviously well-fed
despite the harsh winter cold
and seemingly endless snow
and days of desolate grayness.

A red-breasted robin.
On February 26, 2010.

And I smiled.
I smiled and watched quietly.
My smile grew bigger.

The first robin sighting.

There is hope.
Spring is coming.
Spring is really coming.
Hope rests in my heart again.
Hope.

There was no time
to run inside and grab a camera.
There was only time
to let the beautiful sight
of the first red-breasted robin
Soak slowly into
My brain and my heart
Stirring my soul
to remember
Hope.

So I stood there
Looking out my back door
Smiling.

There is hope.
Spring is coming.
Spring is really coming.
Hope rests in my heart again.
Hope.

Still and quiet.
Awaiting spring.
Hope.

*Copyright/Janet Lyn/Feb. 26, 2010.

No comments: